|Title||Cooks Assistant- Food And Nutrition|
Preparation, handling and cooking of food in accordance with departmental policies and applicable sanitary regulations. Handles food & equipment in accordance with departmental policies, procedures and applicable regulations. Prepares tube feeding formulas, various liquid supplements and food nourishment. Also prepares floor stock items as ordered by unit housekeepers to be delivered to patient units. Reports to Food Service Supervisor/Director, Food & Nutrition.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Reviews menus and food orders and/or projected usage requirements to determine type and quantities of food to be prepared in areas of responsibility.
2. Plans work so that food of sufficient quantity is prepared in time to meet meal schedules, in areas of responsibility.
3. Prepares and cooks food which involves roasting, baking, broiling, grilling, frying, and related cooking procedures.
4. Prepares soups, salads, casseroles, vegetables, baked goods, desserts, and other similar cooked foods according to departmental procedures and standardized recipes to retain nutritive value of foods.
5. May be required to give direction to food service helper in cooking and baking foods.
6. Portions and serves food according to specifications of the supervisor. Carves and portions meat, fish and fowl.
7. Is responsible for storage of foods and leftovers and the avoidance of food waste.
8. Follows and assists in the development of standardized recipes. Measures and mixes ingredients according to recipes using a variety of kitchen utensils and equipment.
9. Works various positions in cafeteria as needed.
10. Prepares grill items, breakfast/specials, and cuts deli meats.
11. Operates cash register and or relieves cashiers as directed.
12. Portions food nourishments for patient supplementation as ordered by the dietitian.
13. Requisitions tube feeding supplies, liquid supplements and food nourishments in accordance with the specifications of the supervisor for inventory control and proper rotation.
14. May work tray line position.
15. Maintains cleanliness and neatness of entire work area.
16. Follows sanitation codes and other applicable regulations concerning handling of food, equipment, working area and hygiene.
17. Promotes and fosters the mission and philosophy of the Hospital during performance of job duties and community activities.
18. Actively supports and participates in Hospital's Performance Improvement endeavors.
19. Performs other related duties as assigned.
20. Is responsible for attending all annual mandatory educational programs as required by position.
21. Employee understands and demonstrates the importance of satisfying the needs of the customer/patient by interacting with him/her in a friendly and caring way, being attentive to the customer’s needs, both psychologically and physically, and by taking the initiative to maintain communication with the customer in order to provide a secure and pleasant experience with the .
22. It is understood that this job description lists typical duties for the classification and is not considered inclusive of all duties, which may be assigned.
High School Graduate or vocational coursework in food preparation and handling preferred. Ability to read, write, speak and follow oral and written direction and do simple mathematical calculations. addition, worker receives training in food preparation, hygiene and sanitation, nutrition, and hygiene methods utilized at St. Joseph's Hospital.
One year experience in quantity food preparation, preferably in a health care setting, or two years experience in quantity food preparation in another type of setting. Some experience or knowledge in food preparation is desirable. Knowledge of basic diet therapy preferred.
CARDIOPULMONARY RESUSCITATION (CPR) REQUIREMENTS:
No CPR required.
1. This position requires ability to be standing for long periods of time.
2. Stoops, reaches for, and lifts kitchen utensils.
3. Handles and uses kitchen utensils.
4. Tastes and smells food to determine its quality and palatability.
1. Willingness to work for best interest of the institution.
2. Ability to work cooperatively with others; maintains a positive and helpful demeanor with all customers.
3. Considerable judgment in evaluation of recipes and estimating cooking time requires.
4. Works under general supervision, but some initiative is needed to maintain workflow and keep area clean and sanitary.
Category III. Tasks that involve no exposure to blood, body fluids, or tissues. And Category I tasks are not a condition of employment.
Denies entry to employees and visitors with designated temperatures or not permitted entry in accordance with designated protocols.
Manage large amounts of incoming calls. Provide accurate, valid and complete information by using the right methods/tools. Follow up to ensure resolution.
Working in the field of health and transportation is challenging and rewarding. Answer the phone in a professional manner and respond thoroughly to requests.
Gloves, Face Masks, Valid Driver's License. Cell Phone with digital camera. (No compensation for Shopvac-Style Vacuum and Cell Phone).