Laborer - Water/Sewer City of Portsmouth, NH Portsmouth
Laborer - Water/sewer
City of Portsmouth, NH
Short Description :
Ability to acquire CDL class B within 12 months Must possess a NH Water Distribution License Grade I and a NH Sewer Collection license Grade I, or have the ability to acquire appropriate licensing within 18 months from date of hire Work is performed in ,…
Full Description :
The purpose of this position is to perform and complete unskilled and semi-skilled municipal building, water, sewer, road, drainage, and other maintenance and construction work. Included are assignments such as snow and ice control operations, street cleaning, seasonal clearing and cleaning operations; water, sewer, road, and drainage systems and facilities maintenance, repair, and construction; trench hand grading and pipe laying; curb laying, street repairs and paving; improving traffic and pedestrian access and sight distances; grounds maintenance, vegetation trimming, cutting, and removal; back filling, loading, and transporting; and implementing job site and work safety procedures. Essential Duties and Responsibilities
1. Mows grass, weeds and brush. Rakes and picks up refuse, leaves and other debris. Clears culverts, drains, roads, ditches, and hydrants. Paints and puts antifreeze in hydrants. Performs other manual and machine assisted maintenance, repair and construction work.
2. Shovels snow and spread s sand and salt on sidewalks, parking lots, steps, etc. Spreads sand, gravel and asphalt. Digs and moves materials with hand tools, wheelbarrows and hand trucks.
3. Loads and unloads heavy materials from vehicles. Assists with stocking operations. Mixes and pours cement. Lays asphalt and patches streets. Installs and repairs water and sewer facilities and lines. Assists in the installation, maintenance and repair of water and sewer facilities. Assists with meter installations and programs meter boxes. Maintains parks and other grounds.
4. Performs other heavy laboring and various unskilled and semi-skilled tasks essential to municipal building, public works and utility operation s using a wide variety of power, pneumatic and hand tools. Operates a snow plow truck and/or serves as the operator's helper. Uses sidewalk tractors and trucks rated 1.5 tons or less.
5. Assists with preparing, maintaining and performing job site and work safety practices.
6. Subject to call out to respond to emergencies after normal working hours. Work Environment
Work is performed in garage, yard, and field locations while driving and may be subject to exposure to hazardous substances or materials. This includes the ability to work in and around all types of job sites and projects, and in confined spaces. Work is performed inside and outside in all weather conditions. Qualifications
License RequirementsMust possess valid driver"s license with the ability to acquire CDL class B within 12 months. Must possess a NH Water Distribution License Grade I and a NH Sewer Collection license Grade I, or have the ability to acquire appropriate licensing within 18 months from date of hire. Education and ExperienceApplicants for this position must have graduated from high school or have earned a graduate equivalent diploma (GED), have a working knowledge of how to care for, operate and use tools and equipment effectively and efficiently and have a minimum of two years' experience in construction or maintenance work. Skills and Abilities1. Ability to determine an appropriate way to perform various tasks safely and complete assigned work in an efficient manner.
2. Ability to effectively and safely use power, hydraulic and pneumatic driven tools, gas meters, other test and safety equipment, and specialized equipment such as a rodding machine, vactor truck, various pumps, hand tools, specialized machines and equipment and a working knowledge of the characteristics of materials used i .e., their purpose and suitability for application or use.
3. A strong commitment to producing excellent work and work products in the most cost effective manner possible.
4. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with customers, co-workers, employees in other divisions or municipal departments and City officials.
5. Ability to communicate effectively with customers, other employees and other operating units orally and by listening in the activities of understanding the intent of and following instructions, discussion and work reports appropriate for the position. Physical Requirements
Requires substantial physical dexterity and strength. This includes the ability to lift up to 80 pounds. Truck operation and limited record keeping knowledge. Full Job Description
Laborer-Water_Sewer Maintenance.pdf Disclaimer
The essential functions and duties described herein are normal for this position. They are intended as an illustration of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to, or extension, of the position. Other duties may be required and assigned by the supervisor. Application Special Instructions
Finalist must complete pre-employment screening, drug testing, & background check.