State drivers license If currently on active duty you must submit a certification of expected discharge or release from active duty service under honorable conditions not later than 120 days after the date the certification is submitted A certificate program is defined ,…
Positions are being filled under the Pathways Student Internship Authority which is designed to provide students enrolled in a variety of educational institutions, from high school to graduate level, with paid work opportunities in agencies to explore federal careers while in school.
If selected you must report no later than June 2021 to begin the internship.
- Receives intensive and specialized training in all phases of natural resources and biological sciences and related natural resource conservation programs.
- Assists in gathering and assembling preliminary data for use in developing and applying conservation and natural resource plans.
Occasional travelYou may be expected to travel for this position.
- Job family (Series)
0499 Biological Science Student Trainee
Conditions of Employment
Program Eligibility Requirements
- Must be a U.S. Citizen or National or be lawfully permitted to the U.S. as a permanent resident or otherwise authorized to be employed. Must be a U.S. citizen at the time of conversion to the competitive service.
- If you are a males born after 12/31/1959, certify that you have registered with the Selective Service System or are exempt from having to do so.
- Must be in good academic standing as defined by USDA as a cumulative GPS of 2.5 or higher on a 4.0 scale.
- Complete at least 640 hrs of work experience prior to completion of degree.
- Enrolled at least half-time at a qualifying educational institution.
- A signed participant agreement is required for employment under Pathways.
- Must be suitable for Federal employment as determined by a background investigation.
- May be required to successfully complete a probationary/trial period.
- Direct Deposit: Per Public Law 104-134 all Federal employees are required to have federal payments made by direct deposit to their financial institution
- Successfully pass the E-Verify employment verification check. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, visit https://www.e-verify.gov/
- The incumbents of Internship positions may be reassigned/relocated to any geographical location where the employee's services are needed as determined by management. Mobility agreement may be required.
- This position requires the incumbent to possess a valid state driver's license.
- The candidate's academic and career goals must be related to the position that they are appointed to.
Applicant must meet the definition of a student that is, be enrolled or accepted for enrollment in an accredited technical or vocational school, two-year or four-year college or university, graduate or professional school. You must be taking at least a half-time academic course load leading to a degree or certificate. A certificate program is defined as a post-secondary education, in a qualifying educational institution, equivalent to at least one academic year of full-time study that is part of an accredited college-level, technical, trade, vocational, or business school curriculum.
- Applicants must be currently enrolled or accepted for enrollment from a qualifying educational institution on a full or half-time basis;
- Applicants must be in good academic standing (GPA of 2.5 or equivalent) to qualify for the intern program and to stay throughout the duration of their intern in, or related to, the internship opportunity being advertised.
- Examples of relevant educational fields for this position include but are not limited to: biological sciences, agriculture, natural resource management, chemistry, or related disciplines appropriate to the position that will allow applicants to qualify for the conversion requirements listed below.
This internship is intended to last for more than one year in order for the selected applicants to gain the required experience and meet all the requirements of the pathways program.
Position Qualifications: Applicants must meet position qualifications requirements as shown below at the time of appointment. The agency must be able to verify that the education was completed successfully before the applicant can be appointed.
- For GS-03 grade level: Completion of 1 full academic year of post-high school study. One full academic year of undergraduate education is defined as 30 semester hours, 45 quarter hours or the equivalent as defined by the accredited college or university. One full academic year of graduate education is defined as 18 semester hours or the equivalent as defined by the accredited college or university.
Conversion Information: Candidates selected from this announcement may be eligible for non-competitive conversion to the entry-level for the target occupation within 120 days of successful degree completion. Non-competitive conversion is to a permanent position in the competitive service, provided that all terms of the Internship Program are met and there is an available position. Entry level for these positions are typically at the GS-05, GS-07 or GS-09 level. The actual grade level at the time of conversion depends on academic achievement and other factors. Conversion is not mandatory or guaranteed and is at agency discretion.
Pathways Interns may convert to a permanent position in the same occupational series (e.g., GS-0401) as outlined in the intern's Pathways agreement. Upon conversion to the competitive service, this position will have a career ladder up to the GS-9 full performance level. To be eligible for conversion, you must satisfactorily complete all Pathways Program requirements:
- Complete at least 640 hours of work experience prior to graduation, typically one summer of full time work (40 hours per week) is equivalent to 320 hours;
- Complete all mandatory training requirements;
- Meet performance expectations and be recommended for conversion;
- Meet suitability requirements; and
- Meet the position's Qualification Requirements of the associated occupational series as outlined in the U.S. Office of Personnel Management, General Schedule Qualifications Standards. See the link below:
After conversion to a permanent position in the Competitive Service, progression from the entry-level to the full performance level for this occupation will depend on successful completion of all requirements for promotion to the next higher grade level. Promotions may be considered after a year at each grade level, but are not guaranteed to occur on a specific time schedule.
The GS-0401 Basic Requirement is:
Degree: biological sciences, agriculture, natural resource management, chemistry, or related disciplines appropriate to the position.
The duty station for these positions will be at one of the duty locations listed in this announcement. Final determination of the duty station will be made by the selecting official at the time of the job offer. Salary range as shown is the locality pay area of Rest of U.S. (RUS). Pay rates vary depending on location and may be higher or lower than the amount shown. Please visit the Office of Personnel Management's website for additional information on pay rates: https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/pay-leave/salaries-wages/2020/general-schedule/
College Transcripts: You must submit a copy of your college transcript or high school diploma/GED certificate as proof that you meet the educational requirements for the grade to which you are applying. You may submit unofficial copies of transcripts at the initial phase of the application process; however, if selected, you will be required to submit official transcripts prior to entrance-on-duty. See "Required Documents" section for more details.
MUST PROVIDE all transcripts/proof of enrollment/acceptance, and/or current class schedule.
All academic degrees or course work must be completed in an educational institution that has obtained accreditation from an accrediting body recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. For a list of schools that meet this criteria, see http://www.ed.gov/
Student Interns must continue to meet the Pathways Program requirements throughout the duration of the appointment. Incumbents will be required to provide proof of continued enrollment and good standing (cumulative GPA of 2.5 or higher on a 4.0 scale) each semester or grading period throughout the internship program. Failure to do so will result in termination of the appointment.
Upon completion of all program requirements, Pathways Interns may be converted to a term, career-conditional or career appointment within 120 days following successful completion of all their education; however, conversion is not guaranteed. The full performance level (FPL) of the position to which converted may be up to the GS-09 level.
How You Will Be Evaluated
- The Pathways Program provides students who are enrolled in a variety of educational institutions, from high school to graduate level, with paid work opportunities in agencies to explore federal careers while in school.
- This Student Trainee position will be filled as an Intern appointment. The appointment is indefinite and is expected to last for the duration of the student's academic attendance.
- If selected, you must report no later than June 2021 to begin the internship.
- Student Trainees will perform the following duties under direct supervision. Assignments will be developmental in nature and will assist the employee in gaining the competencies necessary for a career.
- Physical Demands: Work requires regular and recurring physical exertion such as walking on rough terrain, jumping ditches and furrows, climbing steep banks, or negotiating other terrain features.
- Work Schedules: Selected Interns will be expected to work full-time (40 hours per week) during school summer breaks, and may be allowed to work part-time during the school year, depending on location/state selected.
- Promotion Potential: If you are selected for a position with further promotion potential, you will be placed under a career development plan, and may be non-competitively promoted if you successfully complete the requirements and if recommended by management. However, promotion is neither implied nor guaranteed.
- Depending on budget, NRCS may authorize a one-time gross housing stipend for the summer if the location selected for is outside the local commuting area of your temporary or permanent address, AND may also provide reimbursement for out-of-pocket expenses necessary to get to and from duty station at the end of the work period (summer). Availability and the gross amount will vary by location.
- Training/IDP: This position requires 40 hours of formal, interactive training. An Individual Development Plan (IDP) must be completed and approved by the supervisor within 45 days of appointment.
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Your application will be reviewed to determine if you meet the Position Qualifications and Pathways Intern Program Eligibility Requirements listed in the "Qualifications" section above. Applicants who meet these requirements will be placed on the certificate of eligibles per the grade qualified and forwarded to the selecting official for further review and consideration. Selections will be made from the certificate of eligibles. Interviews may be conducted but are not guaranteed.
Veteran's preference applies in the arrangement of qualified applicants for all USDA Pathways Programs positions (5 CFR 302.101(a). Qualified applicants eligible for veteran's preference will be referred and considered ahead of non-veterans.
Clicking the link below will present a preview of the application form; i.e. the online questionnaire. The application form link below will only provide a preview and does not initiate the application process. To initiate the online application process, click the "Apply" button to the right.
NOTE: If, after reviewing your resume and/or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you provided false documentation, you will be removed from consideration.
To view the application form, visit: https://apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/10935738
If you are graduating in the same semester or term in which you are appointed, you must be able to complete 640 work hours prior to graduation. Spring 2021 graduates will be required to provide proof of continued enrollment for Fall 2021. If no proof of continued enrollment is provided, you will be deemed ineligible for an internship.
These positions have a targeted effective date of Spring-Summer 2021. The tour of duty is full-time and will be filled at the GS-03 grade level with promotion potential to GS-04, with a target conversion position of GS-0401-09.
Before you submit an application for any of our vacancies, you should completely review the announcement and requirements. You should only apply for positions you meet the required minimum qualifications AND program requirements described in the announcement. Do not apply to a duty location if you are not willing to accept or travel to that location.
If you have reviewed the announcement and believe that you meet both the minimum qualifications and the program requirements, you should document your experience and education in your resume. Since traditional resumes do not provide all the information needed to determine your status, you should create a more detailed resume to use when applying to Federal positions. Please ensure that your resume contains your full name, permanent address, contact phone number and email address.
Please ensure that your resume contains your full name, permanent address, contact phone number and email address.
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
Position sensitivity and risk
Non-sensitive (NS)/Low Risk
Trust determination process
The following documents are required for your applicant package to be complete. Our office cannot be responsible for incompatible software, your system failure, etc. Encrypted documents will not be accepted. Failure to submit required, legible documents may result in loss of consideration.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
- Resume that includes: 1) personal information such as name, address, contact information; 2) education; 3) detailed work experience related to this position as described in the major duties including work schedule, hours worked per week, dates of employment; title, series, grade (if applicable); 4) other qualifications.
- Transcripts: A copy of your most recent transcripts is required, preferably showing field of study, school name, student's name, current GPA or academic standing, past and current course work, degree program, and major/concentration. Please be sure to submit all available transcripts to help ensure that you are properly evaluated for the qualification requirements of this position. If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements, your transcripts must document that you have completed the required coursework hours for the GS-3 level as listed in the Qualifications section of this job announcement. Note: An unofficial copy of your transcripts is sufficient with this application; however, if selected, official college transcripts will be required prior to entering on duty.
- Enrollment Verification: If your transcripts reflect current/in-progress enrollment, separate enrollment verification is not required. If your transcripts do not reflect current/in-progress enrollment, you must provide proof of current enrollment or acceptance in the form of letters, records, or statements issued from an authorized source (i.e. University Registrar's Office).
- Academic Verification: If your transcripts do not reflect current Academic Standing/GPA, please provide proof of your academic standing in the form of letters, records, or statements issued from an authorized source (i.e. University Registrar's Office).
- If claiming veteran's preference, you must submit a DD214, Certificate of Release from Active Duty, which shows dates of service and discharge under honorable conditions. If currently on active duty you must submit a certification of expected discharge or release from active duty service under honorable conditions not later than 120 days after the date the certification is submitted. Veteran's preference must be verified prior to appointment. Without this documentation, you will not receive veteran's preference and your application will be evaluated based on the material(s) submitted.
- If claiming 10-point veteran's preference you must provide the DD214 or certification requirements (see above bullet), plus the proof of entitlement of this preference as listed on the SF-15 Application for 10-point Veterans' Preference. The SF-15 should be included but is not required. Failure to submit these documents could result in the determination that there is insufficient documentation to support your claim for 10-point preference. For more information on veterans' preference visit FEDSVISITVETS.
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits.
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
WHO MAY APPLY: Students who are currently enrolled or accepted for enrollment on at least a half-time basis at a qualifying educational institution in a certificate, degree, or diploma program with a cumulative GPA of 2.5 or higher on a 4.0 scale.