To match what you, the applicant, can do against what the work calls for If your resume does not support your questionnaire answers, we will not allow credit for your responses VA may offer newlyappointed Federal employees credit for their jobrelated ,…
These Food service worker positions are in the Nutrition and Food Service Division, you will perform duties that require knowledge of food service operations, including, food and nourishment preparation, tray assembly, tray delivery and pickup, ware washing and sanitation. These positions are located at the following 3 locations, Palo Alto (7), Menlo Park (10) and Livermore (1). In order to be considered for multiple locations you must select each one when applying.Responsibilities
Major duties and responsibilities include:
- Prepares uncooked items following simple recipe instructions such as reconstituting fruit gelatin with water, preparing cold sandwiches and packing them with other ready to serve assembled foods for bag meals, and simple diet supplements and tube feedings.
- Assembles fresh fruit, green salads and desserts in required quantity and then portion into standard serving sizes. Sorts, washes, peels and cuts fresh fruits and vegetables.
- Portions food items into standard serving sizes using the proper utensils and containers.
- Prepares serving tray line for tray service with items such as entrees, meats, potatoes, vegetables, salads, desserts, beverages, condiments, tray ware, and serving utensils.
- Breaks down and cleans tray line after tray service.
- Places specified items on trays as listed on patient tray tickets and menus according to established portions.
- Adapts and conforms to food production and service systems.
- Pushes tray delivery carts to distribute and collect trays from the bedside and records information about tray delivery, pick-up and non-delivery.
- Transports food delivery carts via battery/fuel operated cart to and from outlying ward areas, distributes trays to, and collects trays from rooms and dining room tables.
- Scrapes, soaks, scours and scrubs cooking utensils such as mixing bowls and pots, baking pans etc., which, because of their large size and weight, are awkward to handle for pot and pan washing.
- Stores clean pots and pans in designated areas.
- Sweeps and mops floors. Uses battery operated floor scrubber when required. Cleans walls and equipment.
Work Schedule: Full-time 40 hours per week; 11:00 am7:30 pm or 6:00 am2:30 pm (Days off to be determined; must be able to work weekends and holidays as needed.)
Recruitment & Relocation Incentives: Not authorized
- Job family (Series)
7408 Food Service Working
- Food Preparation Workers
- Workers, Food Preparation
Conditions of Employment
PHYSICAL EFFORT: Performs work requiring light to moderate physical effort and is subject to continuous standing and walking, and frequent stooping, reaching, pushing, pulling and bending. Frequently lifts or moves objects weighing up to 40 pounds. The incumbent performs heavy work, such as scouring and scrubbing large size cooking utensils and pushing heavy carts and trucks in uploading, storing and delivering supplies. May be required to work on ladders and use power-cleaning equipment.
- You must be a U.S. Citizen to apply for this job
- Subject to a background/security investigation
- Designated and/or random drug testing may be required
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959
- May be required to serve a probationary period
- Pre-employment physical may be required
- Selected applicants will be required to complete an online onboarding process
WORK CONDITIONS: Work is performed in kitchen areas where the steam and heat from cooking and dishwashing equipment often cause uncomfortable high temperatures, humidity and noise. The work area is well lighted but usually noisy from food service activities, and there is danger of slipping on floors from food or beverages and from floors recently mopped. Regularly exposed to hot liquids, sharp cutting blades, hot working surfaces and extreme temperature changes when entering walk-in refrigeration or freezing units.
Applicants will be rated in accordance with the OPM Federal Wage System Qualifications. For this position, the job element method is used to match what you, the applicant, can do against what the work calls for. Your knowledge, skills and abilities will be compared to the knowledge, skills and abilities (called job elements) needed for success. Your qualifications will first be evaluated against the prescribed screen out element. Applicants who appear to meet the screen out element are considered for further rating; those who do not are rated ineligible and are eliminated from consideration. The potential eligibles are rated against the remainder of the job elements. While a specific length of training and experience is not required, your responses to the questionnaire must be supported by detailed descriptions of your experience on your resume.
You will be rated on the following Job Elements as part of the assessment questionnaire for this position:
- Dexterity and Safety
Handle Weights and Loads
Reliability And Dependability
Special AptitudeFood Service Work
IMPORTANT: A full year of work is considered to be 35-40 hours of work per week. All experience listed on your resume must include the month and year start/end dates. Part-time experience will be credited on the basis of time actually spent in appropriate activities. Applicants wishing to receive credit for such experience must indicate clearly the nature of their duties and responsibilities in each position and the number of hours a week spent in such employment.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
This job does not have an education qualification requirement.
Receiving Service Credit for Earning Annual (Vacation) Leave: Federal Employees earn annual leave at a rate (4, 6 or 8 hours per pay period) which is based on the number of years they have served as a Federal employee. VA may offer newly-appointed Federal employee's credit for their job-related non-federal experience or active duty uniformed military service. This credited service can be used in determining the rate at which they earn annual leave. Such credit must be requested and approved prior to the appointment date and is not guaranteed.How You Will Be Evaluated
Special Employment Consideration: VA encourages persons with disabilities to apply, including those eligible for hiring under 5 CFR 213.3102(u), Schedule A, Appointment of persons with disabilities (i.e., intellectual disabilities, severe physical disabilities, or psychiatric disabilities), and/or disabled veterans with a compensable service-connected disability of 30% or more. For more information on how to apply using this appointment authority via the Selective Placement Coordinator within the office, contact the facility Human Resources Department at (650) 493-5000.
It is the policy of the VA to not deny employment to those that have faced financial hardships or periods of unemployment.
Veterans and Transitioning Service Members: Please visit the VA for Vets site for career-search tools for Veterans seeking employment at VA, career development services for our existing Veterans, and coaching and reintegration support for military service members.
The Interagency Career Transition Assistance Plan (ICTAP) and Career Transition Assistance Plan (CTAP) provide eligible displaced Federal competitive service employees with selection priority over other candidates for competitive service vacancies. To be qualified you must submit appropriate documentation and be found well-qualified (have a final rating of 85 or more before any Veterans preference points) for this vacancy. Information about ICTAP and CTAP eligibility is on OPM's Career Transition Resources website at http://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/workforce-restructuring/employee-guide-to-career-transition/.
Financial Disclosure Report: Not Required
This job opportunity announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies.
If you are unable to apply online view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application.
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
IN DESCRIBING YOUR EXPERIENCE, PLEASE BE CLEAR AND SPECIFIC. WE WILL NOT MAKE ASSUMPTIONS REGARDING YOUR EXPERIENCE. If your resume does not support your questionnaire answers, we will not allow credit for your response(s).
Your responses to the assessment questionnaire will be reviewed along with the information provided in your resume and supporting documentation to determine if you are qualified for the position. If, after reviewing your resume and/or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and or experience, your rating may be lowered and/or you may lose consideration for this position. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your eligibility.
Candidates who apply under All U.S. Citizens announcements will be rated and ranked using Category Rating procedures. Qualified candidates will be assigned to a quality category. The categories are defined as follows:
Application of Veterans' Preference: Category rating and selection procedures place those with veteran's preference above non-preference eligibles within each category. Preference eligible applicants that meet the eligibility and qualification requirements and who have a compensable service-connected disability of at least 10 percent are listed in the highest quality category.
- Best qualifiedapplicants possessing experience that substantially exceeds the minimum qualifications of the position including all selective factors, and who are highly proficient in all requirements of the job and can perform effectively in the position;
- Well qualifiedapplicants possessing experience that meets the minimum qualifications of the position including all selective factors, and who are proficient in some, but not all, of the requirements of the job; and
- Qualifiedapplicants possessing experience and/or education that meets the minimum qualifications of the position including all selective factors.
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
Position sensitivity and risk
Non-sensitive (NS)/Low Risk
Trust determination process
IMPORTANT: Please ensure your resume include up-to-date contact information (phone number(s), email address(s), etc.)
To apply for this position, you must provide a complete Application Package which includes:
The following documents are accepted, and may be required if applicable to your eligibility and/or qualifications for this position. Please use this checklist to ensure you have included all documents required for your application, such as a copy of your transcript (if using education to qualify), SF-50's (current/former Federal employees), documentation to support Veterans Preference or ICTAP/CTAP documentation (for displaced Federal employees).
- Cover Letter
DD-214/ Statement of Service
Disability Letter (VA)
Separation Notice (RIF)
SF-50/ Notification of Personnel Action
Veterans' Preference: When applying for Federal Jobs, eligible Veterans should claim preference for 5pt (TP), 10pt (CP/CPS/XP), or for Sole Survivor Preference (SSP) in the questionnaire. You must provide a legible copy of your DD214(s) which shows dates and character of service (honorable, general, etc.). If you are currently serving on active duty and expect to be released or discharged within 120 days you must submit documentation related to your active duty service which reflects the dates of service, character of service (honorable, general, etc.), and dates of impending separation. Additionally, disabled veterans and others eligible for 10-point preference (such as widows or mothers of eligible Veterans) must also submit an SF-15 "Application for 10 Point Veteran Preference" with required proof as stated on the form. Documentation is required to award preference. For more information on Veterans' Preference, please visit http://www.fedshirevets.gov/job/vetpref/index.aspx.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits.
Review our benefits
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.